- At the start of your last open water swim you jumped on your training partner’s back and started making whooping noises because a fish touched you.
- A satellite image of your half Ironman swim track spells out the word: potato. Yes it was a point to point river swim.
- You are feeling the groove, swimming smooth, then suddenly it feels like you are swimming harder but making less progress. You stop and look around. There is a large bird perched on your safety buoy enjoying the tow.
- During a race, you realize you have been sighting on the wrong tree when you look up and realize you don’t see any other swimmers … anywhere.
- On one open water swim you came face to face with a snake which led to a furious backstroke sprint across 50 yards of lake, a sandy beach, a grassy bank and halfway up a persimmon tree.
- You have such a well developed reputation for colliding with other swimmers that you have earned the nickname eight ball.
- During Beach 2 Battleship (now Ironman North Carolina) a kayaker paddled up and told you the buoy is over to the left and you are currently headed for Maryland.
Also follow my wacky adventures and manic musings on twitter @swimbikestumble and check out the swimbikestumble Facebook page. where I post links to articles of interest.